We had our friends over a few months ago for a small party.
One of the items on the menu was this simple multi bean salad as part of the hors o doeuvres, that would go along well with some corn chips.
This salad is not only nutritious and healthy, it packs in great taste as well and is an immediate hit with all. Above all, it is very simple to make.
1 cup cooked chick peas
1 cup cooked kidney beans
2 cups cooked black beans
500g green pepper
400g red pepper
1 large jalapeno
3 tbsp heap minced fresh dill
3 tbsp heap minced fresh coriander leaves
2 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 ½ tbsp light olive oil
1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
You can buy the cooked and canned beans from the store or you can soak raw beans overnight in water and pressure cook them. Well, if you aren't crazy, buying it from the store is the way to go. In my case I was crazy enough :-).
1. After measuring the amounts for the salad, rinse the canned beans in cold water. Add all the beans to a large aluminum baking tray (mid size). Set aside.
2. Remove the seeds and stem from the green and red peppers and dice them into ½ inch pieces. Add these to the bean mix. Mince the large jalapeno and add it to the beans as well.
3. In a medium sized bowl, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper and whisk everything together well. Pour this over the bean and vegetable mix.
4. Garnish with the fresh dill and coriander leaves, and then taking a spatula mix everything well together until well incorporated.
5. Serve cold on its own, or with baked corn chips.